Apr 1 2022

Working across the border? This is what you need to know and arrange!

The Belgian social protection system differs from certain countries, and it may be useful to provide your new foreign employees with the right information regarding the procedures to follow.

Why do cross-border workers have to register with a mutual insurance company?

In the event of sick leave, it is the mutual insurance company that pays benefits to the employee. You therefore need to register with a Belgian mutual insurance company when you’re working in Belgium in order to be covered in the event of incapacity for work and receive benefits. This registration also allows your employee to be covered by the social security of his or her country of residence and to obtain reimbursement for his or her healthcare.

What procedures does a worker living abroad need to follow with regard to the mutual insurance company?

  • Cross-border workers working in Belgium must register with a Belgian mutual insurance company.
  • Once he or she is registered, the mutual insurance company provides him or her with a European convention document S1.
  • The employee must submit this document S1 to the social security organisation of his or her country of residence.
  • Your employee will be covered on both sides of the border as soon as these procedures have been followed.
Looking for support or more information? We guide you through this procedure thanks to our partnersnetwork! Do not leave your case in doubt, go for certainty and professional guidance by experts!

We use cookies or similar technologies (e.g. pixels or social media plug-ins) to optimise your user experience on our website, among other things. In addition, we wish to use analytical and marketing cookies to personalise your visit to our website, to send targeted advertisements to you, and to give us more insight into your use of our website.

Do you consent to our use of cookies for an optimal website experience, so that we can improve our website and surprise you with advertisements? Then confirm with ‘OK’.

Conversely, would you like to set specific preferences for different types of cookies? This can be done via our Cookie Policy. Would you like more information about our use of cookies or how to delete cookies? Please read our Cookie Policy.